On Sunday morning, June 7, 1914, a small group of Christ-following, Evangelical people met to organize a Sunday school for the children of the Jacob’s Addition neighborhood. Fourteen people were at that first meeting and laid the foundation for what is today a long-standing member of Jacob’s Addition and the Oakdale Neighborhood. The first actual church building was built on Bennett Avenue (now Camden Avenue) in 1915. Five years later, in 1920, a new church building was constructed at the southwest corner of Berry and Taylor Boulevards. In 1949, ground was broken for the current church home. St. James began in this South Louisville neighborhood and is committed to stay and be an active part of the community.
The people who gather to worship at St. James are from all over the Louisville Metro area and parts of Southern Indiana. The SJC family chooses to lift praise to God in a traditional, liturgical and reformed style, always seeking to worship our great God with our hearts and minds. In addition to regular Sunday morning worship, the people of St. James are committed to sharing the love of Christ through various ministries. Through our partnerships with various organizations, the St. James family provides food for the hungry, school supplies for students in need, diapers and baby care items for families who are struggling, and numerous other acts of charity for those in need.